Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela


    When I heard the news of Mandela's passing, it was around 2 AM On the BBC. And I confess that along with the general sadness and loss, there was a certain acceptance and respect. As we would hear over the next days and weeks, many in South Africa and around the globe held the same view that he had done more than any other, and he had earned his rest. No one wanted him to suffer any longer, so the world sighed when he passed at home with his family.
  So many times it could have ended so much worse for Mandela and the world he shaped. He remains a fighter and powerful leader in our hearts and minds. But his body had survived things we can't even imagine. He had lived..truly lived his long life And his life had changed the entire world!
  No matter what color you are, where you were born, how much your parents make. Your world is different, immeasurably changed by the very name "Mandela" Who else can leave us with that legacy?
  For many years I was the producer and co-host of a weekly 2 hour world music program. My mentor in African Music and Culture was the son of a royal house. Both of his parents had descended from African Royal families. He taught me the African National Anthem and what it meant. He also taught me the History of Mandala and his incarceration.
  My regular show was on Sat afternoon, but I happened to be filling in on Friday afternoon when the news of Mandela's impending release from prison came over the wire. The News director brought it straight in to me, but I played the next song I had queued up, and stared at the news copy.
  This was gonna be like when JFK was assassinated, but in a good way. Everyone would or at least should remember where they were when they 1st heard he was finally free. Especially after he went on to such great things.
  But right then I knew it was really, REALLY important...but I didn't know what to say. I thought someone else should break the news, but I was the co-host of the very popular African Music program. They all agreed I was the perfect person to let Madison know first.
  My weekly show had regular visits from Africans, Jamaicans, French, German, Spanish, and a variety of other nationalities. And we always had fun because we never worried about the skin colors in the room. We all loved the music and that was all that mattered.
  And in a much bigger way that was what Mandela had tried to teach the world. Through Football, and forgiveness, he told us all to embrace the things we have in common.
"You like Pizza? I like Pizza too! You're a Packer fan? I'm a Packer Fan!"
When you focus on what you have in common, you're all on the same side. You may not agree on everything, but you're not divided by them. The "Us vs Them" point of view is not healthy for Us or Them.

"I have seen the enemy and they are us" Pogo said. But if we flip that around
 there is no enemy if we're all "Us".